BAHASA INGGRIS 2


1.    Question Tags

A question tags is small question at the end of a statement. Question tags are used when asking for agreement or confirmation.
a positive statement + a negative question tag
Example:
              She is a nurse, isn’t she ?

( A subject pronoun comes after an auxiliary or a form of the verb To Be )
                       
a negative statement + a positive question tag
Example:
Fachri isn’t a soldier, is he ?

(A subject pronoun is used to replace the noun or noun phrase )
Intonation and Meaning
The intonation of a question tag shows the exact meaning of it. If the intonation of the question tag goes up, it means you are not sure and you want to know the answer.
Maria doesn’t like party, does she ?
( your voice goes up when you say does she.)
If the intonation of the question tag goes down, it means you are checking / confirming information or making conversation.
Maria does like party, doesn’t she ?
( you voice goes down when you say doesn’t she.)

A. If the statement has “be” as an ordinary verb, we use a form of be in the tag. Tags are always used with pronouns.

When the main sentence is positive, we have to use negative question tag. Let's see the following example.

1.      They were very happy, weren’t they ?
2.      She is a nurse, isn’t she ?
3.      It was a nightmare, wasn’t it ?
4.      They are going to play basketball, aren’t they ?
5.      He is very busy, isn’t he ?
Exceptions:
I am late , aren’t I ? * Be careful
Let’s go drink tea , shall we ?

When the main sentence is negative, we have to use positive question tag. Let's see the following example.
1.      He isn’t an actor, is he ?
2.      I am not fine, am I ?
3.      That was not a big surprise, was that ?
4.      They weren’t at the movie theater, were they ?
5.      You aren’t sleepy, are you ?

Statement using barely, hardly, no, nobody, none, nothing, and seldom are treated as negative statement.
He is seldom absent, is he ?
Nothing is ready, is it ?
She found barely anything to eat, did she ?

B. With the Simple Present Tense we use do / does - don’t / doesn't? With the Simple Past Tense we use did / didn't?
1.      She did the book , didn’t she ?
2.      They come to my house, don’t they ?
3.      He came to my house, didn’t he ?
4.      Ariana doesn’t like Chicken , does she ?
5.      You don’t have much money, do you ?
6.      She doesn’t take sugar in coffee, does she ?
7.      Jose went to movie theater, didn’t he ?
8.      My mother listens to music , doesn’t she?
9.      You don’t listen to me, do you ?
10.  She likes that band, doesn’t she ?

C. Question tags with auxiliary To Have
1.      You had read the novel, hadn’t you ?
2.      She hasn’t been in Japan, has she ?
3.      They have seen that movies, haven’t they ?
4.      You have got a camera, haven’t you ?
5.      You  had arrived before he left, had not you ?

D.  If the statement has a modal, it is repeated in the tag.
1.      You wouldn’t tell anyone, would you ?
2.      She can speak Dutch  can’t she ?
3.      You will go there  won’t you ?
4.       You must be tired, mustn’t you ?
5.       We should study for the test, shouldn’t we ?
6.       You can help me, can’t you ?

2.    Elliptical Structure

Elliptical structure is joining two sentences by omitting a part of sentences to make it shorter without changing the meaning.

Three types of elliptical structure :

A.   Positive sentence + positive sentence ( TOO and SO )

Pattern :
Positive sentence, and + Subject + auxiliary + Too
Positive sentence, and + So + auxiliary + Subject

Examples:

1.      I like meatball . You like meatball
ð  I like meatball , and you do too.
ð  I like meatball , and so do you.
2.      My sister is a Doctor. My uncle is a Doctor
ð  My sister is a doctor , and my uncle is too.
ð  My sister is a doctor , and so is my uncle
3.      I watched Piala Dunia. My brother watched Piala Dunia.
ð  I watched Piala Dunia , and my brother did too.
ð  I watched Piala Dunia , and so did my brother
4.      Jose can speak Dutch. Aldo can speak Dutch.
ð  Jose can speak , and Aldo can too
ð  Jose can speak , and so can Aldo
5.      She has been in Peru. They have been in Peru.
ð  She has been in Peru , and they have too
ð  She has been in Peru , and so have they.
6.      Briana bought a new handphone. Rifan bought a new handphone.
ð  Briana bought a new handphone , and Rifan did too.
ð  Briana bought a new handphone , and so did Rifan.

B.    Negative sentence + Negative sentence ( EITHER and NEITHER )

Pattern :

Negative sentence , and + Subject + auxiliary + not + Either
Negative sentence , and + Neither + auxiliary + Subject.

Examples :

1.      She doesn’t like coffee. I don’t like coffee.
ð  She doesn’t like coffee , and I don’t either.
ð  She doesn’t like coffee , and neither do I .
2.      They haven’t been in Korea. He hasn’t been in Korea.
ð  They haven’t been in Korea , and He hasn’t either.
ð  They haven’t been in Korea , and neither has He.
3.      I don’t like cold weather. You don’t like cold weather.
ð  I don’t like cold weather , and you don’t either.
ð  I don’t like cold weather , and neither do you.
4.      Anna can’t speak Russian. Ryan can’t speak Russian.
ð  Anna can’t speak Russian , and Ryan can’t either.
ð  Anna can’t speak Russian , and neither can Ryan.
5.      Hanny didn’t go to the party. I didn’t go to the party.
ð  Hanny didn’t go to the party , and I didn’t either.
ð  Hanny didn’t go to the party, and neither did I.
6.      I won’t stop talking. He won’t stop talking.
ð  I won’t stop talking ,and He won’t either.
ð  I won’t stop talking , and neither will He.
7.      My mother isn’t a Rapper . My Dad isn’t a Rapper.
ð  My mother isn’t a Rapper , and My Dad isn’t either.
ð  My mother isn’t a Rapper , and neither is My Dad.

C.   Positive sentence + Negative sentence (BUT)

Pattern :

Positive sentence , But + subject + auxiliary + not.
Negative sentence , But + subject + auxiliary .

Examples :

1.      Emma can speak Russian. Kevin can’t speak Russian.
ð  Emma can speak Russian, but Kevin can’t.
ð  Kevin can’t speak Russian , but Emma can
2.      I hate mushrooms. You don’t hate mushrooms
ð  I hate mushrooms, but you don’t
ð  You don’t hate mushrooms , but I do.
3.      You like cold weather. I don’t like cold weather.
ð  You like cold weather, but I don’t
ð  I don’t cold weather, but you do.
4.      Briana bought a new handphone. Rifan not bought a new handphone.
ð  Briana bought a new handphone , but Rifan didn’t
ð  Rifan not bought a new handphone ,  but Briana did.
5.      I was tired in the morning. You wasn’t tired in the morning.
ð  I was tired in the morning , but you wasn’t
ð  You wasn’t tired in the morning , but I was.


3.    YES / NO Question

Yes / No questions are those questions that expect ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as answer. These questions do not take the question words when, what, where etc.

Do you like chocolate ? ( answer : yes or no )
Have you ever seen a ghost ? ( answer : yes or no )

The rules

1. If the main verb of the sentence is "to be", simply invert the subject and the verb to be:
Examples:
·         You are a student è Are you a student ?
·         Sarah is from Australia è Is Sarah from Australia ?

2. If the sentence includes a main verb and another or other helping (auxiliary) verb(s), invert the subject and the (first) helping (auxiliary) verb.
Examples :
·         It is snowing è Is it snowing ?
·         She plays the piano èDoes she play the piano ?
·         You had read the novel èHad you read the novel ?
·         We should leave this building è Should we leave this building ?

3.If the sentence includes a verb which is not the verb "to be" and doesn't include a helping (auxiliary) verb, the transformation is more complex.

a. If the verb is in the present tense, add either do or does and put the main verb in its base form:
·         Do if the subject is the first person singular, second person singular, first person plural, second person plural and third person plural (I, you, we, they)

Examples:
we have a lecture tomorrow. èDo we have a lecture tomorrow ?
I like this cat è Do you like this cat ?

·         Does if the subject is the third person singular (he, she, it).

Examples:
            She misses her è Does she miss her ?
            You sister watch horror movies è Does your sister watch horror movies ?

b.If the verb is in the past tense, add did and put the main verb in its base form:

Examples:
            You lose your wallet è Did you lose your wallet ?
Airin passed the test è Did Airin pass the test ?

4.    Asking Information Question

The answers for simple questions in English are "Yes," "No," or "I don't know" (or its equivalent). The answers for information questions are varied--because they are used to ask about specific kinds of information. Information questions are also called "Wh-" questions because many of the words that are used to ask this type of question begin with Wh-.

Information Question Common Question Words:

Use This Question Word è To ask About

Who è people (names and other identifying information) used as subject.
Whom èpeople (names and other identifying information) used as object.
What è Things (subject or object)
Whose (+noun) è ownership
Where è location (places)
When è time (general)
What time è time (specific)
What … do è actions (verbs)
Why è reasons
What (+noun) è one part a group (when all of the parts are not known)
Which (+noun)è one part of a group (when the parts are known)
What kind of (+noun)è descriptive names for categories
What colorè colors
How è manner; methods
How many(+noun) ènumber (used with uncountable nouns)
How long è duration (periods of time);length
How far è distance
How old è age
How (+ adjective or adverb) è degree or extent
Examples :

1.      Who is the lecturer ?
2.      Whom should I take a prom ?
3.      What is the movie about ?
4.      Whose book did you borrow ?
5.      Where will you meet him ?
6.      When did you go to the hospital ?
7.      What time did you finish your task ?
8.      What do you do for a living ?
9.      Why do you steal ?
10.  Which house is yours ?
11.  What kind of music do you listen ?
12.  What color is your shirt ?
13.  How was the test ?
14.  How many cars do you own ?
15.  How much sugar do you usually take ?
16.  How long have you been married ?
17.  How old are you ?
18.  How far is the train station ?
19.  How fast can you run ?





DAFTAR PUSTAKA




Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Manusia dan Tanggung Jawab (Tugas Ilmu Budaya Dasar)